Two families, consisting of 5 adults and 2 children, lost everything Sunday evening (December 7, 2014) during a fast-moving duplex fire on Sunny Lane in Mary D (Schuylkill Township).
Since then, a number of individuals and organizations have stepped up to help the families with immediate needs. They include the Tamaqua Salvation Army for offering support or temporary housing, Schuylkill American Red Cross for offering mental support and other assistance, Jolene Barron (an elementary school teacher of one of the victims) and Kristen/Robby Krapf for organizing a clothing drive, and numerous others who donated or helped.
Displaced from 173 Sunny Lane are Jeremy Denning, Jody Denning, a 5-year-old boy (Jacob), an 8-year-old girl (Destini), their disabled 81-year old grandmother Illomay Nelson, and pets (dog, cat, goldfish). They are staying with friends and family in Mary D and Hometown.
Displaced from 174 Sunny Lane are Pete and Ida Kutash. They are currently staying with a neighbor across the street.
Click HERE to view the full story, photos, and video about the fire.
Sadly, the worst is not over. In addition to finding permanent living arrangements, both families will have to purchase what they’ve lost and slowly rebuild their lives. It could take months or even years for both families to recover financially.
If you can help these families, please do. The simplest way to help is to provide a monetary donation (no matter how small).
WAYS TO HELP BOTH FAMILIES:
1. Give a monetary donation right NOW by clicking GoFundMe.com/7MaryDFireVictims. $5 and up. This is via the Tamaqua Volunteers group. Last day to donate is December 22, 2014. FMI: (570) 668-1234.
2. Give a monetary donation at any Wells Fargo Bank. Simply mention you want to donate to the “Mary D Sunny Drive Fire Victim Fund“. Donations can also be mailed to Wells Fargo Bank at 17 West Broad Street, Tamaqua PA 18252. This is via the Tamaqua Volunteers group. Last day to donate is December 22, 2014. FMI: (570) 668-1234.
3. Drop off unwrapped toys, gift cards or monetary donations at Ziegler’s Auto Repair & Towing, 133 Claremont Avenue (Hometown Hill), between 10 AM and 4 PM.
4. Drop off unwrapped toys, gift cards, or monetary donations at Tamaqua’s East End Fire Company, 555 East Broad Street, from Monday, December 8 to Wednesday, December 10, 2014 from 5 PM to 8 PM.
5. Contact Pawsitively Purrfect Rescue via Facebook to help provide donations for one of the family’s dogs, a 2-year-old boxer. https://www.facebook.com/pawsitivelypurrfectrescue.
6. Purchase homemade pierogies via Elaine Savitsky on Facebook. For more information, contact her at (570) 668-2466 or via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/elaine.savitsky.
7. Drop off unwrapped toys, gift cards, or monetary donations at the Schuylkill Township Municipal Building, 675 Walnut Street, during business hours.
8. Drop-off unwrapped toys, gift cards, or monetary donations during the Rush Elementary School 2nd-to-5th Grade Dance on Friday, December 12, 2014 from 7 PM to 9 PM.
9. Drop off monetary donations during the Ringtown Valley Fire & Rescue Company’s breakfast fundraiser on Sunday, December 14, 2014 from 8 AM to 12 PM. For more information, contact the fire company via https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ringtown-Valley-Fire-Rescue-Co/225295417504695.
10. Attend a Spaghetti Dinner Fundraiser for the Nelson/Denning family on Sunday, December 14, 2014 from 1 PM to 5 PM at the Tamaqua Elks Lodge, 201 West Broad Street. The event is on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/628884493901562.
11. Drop off unwrapped toys, gift cards, or monetary donations at L.C.C.C., 234 High Street, in Tamaqua. Last day to donate is Thursday, December 18, 2014.
12. Encourage Tamaqua Elementary School students to donate anything via a dress down day scheduled for Tuesday, December 23, 2014. Any type of donation is accepted. For more information, contact Jolene Barron via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/jolenebarron.
13. Drop off donations during Santa’s visit at 28 East Hazard Street in Summit Hill on Sunday, December 21, 2014 at 6 PM. After stopping there (about 30 minutes), Santa will stop at the Summit Hill Fire Company. Everyone is encouraged to drop off personal hygiene products, gifts cards, or monetary donations. For more information, contact organizers Jenn Fox or Tara Nelson on Facebook.
14. Attend the Mary D Fire Victims Benefit Concert on Saturday, December 27, 2014 from 5 PM to 10 PM. Entertainment will consist of Ricky and the Ricardo’s, Sterling Kock Band, The Brand, Hooligan, The Local Boys and possibly others. For more information, visit the event on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/412926832203257/.
15: Show patronage at La Dolce Casa Restaurant, 16 West Broad Street, in Tamaqua on Sunday, December 28, 2014 between 11 AM and 11 PM. A percentage of sales will benefit the Kutash family.
16: Mail donations directly to each family:
– Ida Kutash, 303 Green Street, Brockton, PA 17925. (Family of 2).
– Jereme Denning, PO BOX 367, Mary D, PA 17952. (Family of 5).
TamaquaArea.com will post other ways to donate, as they come available.
For any donation pickup, call volunteer Robby Krapf at (570) 778-8794.
To reach the Denning/Nelson family, call (570) 778-7247 or (570) 668-5727.
To reach the Kutash family, call (570) 778-1568.
If possible, try to limit contact with the families. Please donate via the two monetary funds, toy drive, and event(s) listed above.
Related Times News story:
Related WBRE/WYOU TV PAHomepage story:
Related WNEP TV story:
TamaquaArea.com video of fire: