One man is homeless following a house fire this morning (Tuesday, April 1, 2014) in the community of Newkirk.
Firefighters from multiple departments were called around 6 AM today (Tuesday, April 1, 2014) to 614 Old 209 Road for a report of a working structure fire.
They arrived to see flames and heavy smoke emanating from the front of the two-story home.
Nearby neighbors said that firefighters had the rising flames under control within minutes of responding.
Despite the quick response, firefighters said the home and much of its belongings were destroyed.
Responding were Tamaqua Police, State Police, Tamaqua Fire Department, Tuscarora Fire Company, New Philadelphia Fire Company, New England/Walker Township Fire Company, Coaldale Fire Company, West Penn Fire Company, Ryan Township Emergency Rescue and EMS, Tamaqua Ambulance, Pottsville Fire Company, and others.
Neighbors added that they saw paramedics using a mask to give oxygen to a dog rescued from the home. Despite strong efforts, the dog didn’t survive.
The home, owned by Bryan Hosler, was lived in by Joe Hartranft.
The cause of the fire was said to be a space heater near a couch.
Members of the Tamaqua Salvation Army, American Red Cross and Tamaqua Volunteers group are offering help. Volunteers stressed that any donations (no matter what) can be offered by calling (570) 668-1837 or (570) 778-6142.
TamaquaArea.com Video (short):